Does Breakfast For Weight Loss Work?
Eat like a King or Queen at breakfast, a Prince or Princess at lunch and a Pauper at dinner. Science is proving this old adage to be true for those trying to lose weight and improve their health – breakfast for weight loss does really work.
A recent study found that eating a main meal after 3:00 pm, makes losing weight difficult. Study participants that ate a small breakfast and a large dinner, lost less weight than those who did the opposite – ate a large breakfast and a small dinner.
Late in the day eating is associated with decreased glucose tolerance and lower resting energy expenditure, which makes weight loss more challenging.
For those that skip breakfast, unhealthy behaviors and indications were more common including:
- Snacking on unhealthy foods
- Larger dinners
- Lower physical activity
- Higher metabolic risk
- Higher BMI
- Larger waist circumference
- Higher fasting insulin levels
- Increased cholesterol and LDL numbers
- Higher risk of diabetes
When you eat is important for health and weight loss. Your body’s circadian rhythm operates based on sunlight, and darkness. Hormones are driven by your circadian rhythm. In the morning hormones are released to help you feel awake, alert and encourage activity. At night, hormones are released to help you slow down and prepare for sleep. You burn more energy, or calories, in the morning, than you do in the evening. That is how the body is designed to work.
Your body is primed to burn calories in the morning. Eat a large, nutritious meal, like a King or Queen, within two hours of waking, ideally around 7 am. This meal will result in:
- Better blood sugar and insulin regulation
- Lower cravings-especially for sugar
- More calorie burn all day
- Better cognitive performance
- Improved mood
- Enhanced energy for your day
For breakfast include complex carbohydrates (fruits, veggies, whole grains), lean protein (eggs, lean sausage) and healthy fat (nuts, nut butter, avocado)
- Oatmeal made with almond milk topped with frozen raspberries, blueberries, chopped almonds and flax meal
- Whole grain toast with eggs, sautéed veggies, avocado and a side of fruit
Lunch is also an important meal, for you as a Prince or Princess. Eat it between 12:30-1pm. Your body is still revved up, and burning calories.
- Leftover grilled chicken and veggies
- Whole grain bread, turkey, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and a side salad with vinaigrette
- Tacos with grilled meat, slaw, peppers, tomatoes, and a side salad
Dinner should be the smallest meal of the day, fit for a pauper.
Kale salad topped with 6 oz of salmon, slivered parmesan cheese, chopped walnuts, and sliced strawberries.
For effective weight loss, try focusing on when you eat to better accommodate your body’s natural circadian rhythms, keeping the old adage in mind..a King or Queen at breakfast, Prince or Princess at lunch and a Pauper at dinner.
by Christy Coughlin
[su_divider top=”no” divider_color=”#000000″ margin=”40″]
[su_youtube_advanced url=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqboncjGvLs” rel=”no” fs=”no” modestbranding=”yes” wmode=”opaque”]