While an hour in the gym is ideal, any amount of exercise will do a body and mind good. Consider exercise snacking routines with 5 to 10-minute bouts of movement. According to a recent study from the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences, just 11 minutes of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity improves health and increases lifespan. Exercise improves your cardiovascular and respiratory systems, strengthens bones and muscles, assists with weight management, helps prevent depression and improves brain health, and reduces the risk of disease—snack on a bit of exercise for significant benefits. Exercise snacks are perfect for your busy schedule. Remember, if you are too busy to exercise, you are too busy!!
Exercise snacks can be done anywhere and at any time of the day. Brisk walking, light cycling, strength exercises, vigorous cleaning and all sorts of other NEAT activities are perfect snacks. You don’t need a gym, special equipment, or athletic clothing with these little snacks.
The Rolling Strong Application offers a wide variety of short exercise “snacks”, that when completed automatically add points to your day. Go to Fitness, Rolling Strong Workouts, and browse the list of workouts. You might choose the 9-minute arm, 8-minute core, or 13-minute HIIT workout. These short workouts were designed with you in mind!
Other suggestions for exercise snacking routines include:
- Walk for 5 minutes in one direction, turn around, and walk back faster than 5 minutes
- Perform 4 sets of 10 bodyweight squats and 10 wall pushups
- Jump rope for 30 seconds, 5 times with 30 seconds rest between sets
- Clean the interior of your car or truck for 10 minutes
- Do step-ups on the curb-1 minute for each leg
- Walk up a hill 3 times
- Do 3 sets of 20 bicycle crunches, and 30-second plank holds
- Walk the stairs 4 times
- Walk your dog for 5 minutes, including 5×30 second jogs with 1 minute of walking between sets
- Bike the mile and a half instead of driving
- Dance with your kids for a song….or two
- Do two sets of 10 side-step ups on your truck step, 2 sets for each leg
- Walk around your truck 2 times in each direction
Exercise snacks are perfect for those just beginning an exercise routine, for those with little time, or as a little extra after a gym workout. Include 2 or 3 exercise snacks in your day, which all add up. You will feel energized, less stressed, and strong after a little movement.
Comment on social in the Rolling Strong application with your idea for an “exercise snack”.
Exercise snacks increase your fitness, improve your mood, and help you keep on Rolling Strong!
by Christy Coughlin, Wellness Coach